Sunday, February 12, 2006

The Death of Saab


Below are comments I posted on another site discussing the death of Saab. The string was composed of Saab owners lamenting GM’s ownership of Saab, and GM’s myopic failure to understand what Saab owners want from a Saab-

I own a Saab 9-5, in silver of course.

I’ve had an interest in Saabs since reading the James Bond books written by James Gardner in the 1980s. In these books, James Bond drove a Saab 900, which was referred to as the “Silver Beast.”

On the other item being discussed, GM, I also worked technology for a GM sub-contractor for approximately one year during the 9-11 economic downturn. The year I worked for the GM sub-contractor was around the time period GM acquired full ownership of Saab.

My strongest impression was this; I was amazed that at a time when GM was losing large amounts of money, the middle-management-team was flying around in private jets at a cost of approximately $7200 per-air-hour. I also remember a visit by the GM head of North America. In his entourage, he actually had a lackey in a cheap suit following him around taking photos. You’d think Eisenhower had landed at Normandy. I didn’t get a warm fuzzy about these GM guys, just bad karma.

G.W. Bush has been accused of living in a “bubble.” Believe me; you haven’t seen a bubble until you’ve seen the isolation bubble GM executives live in.

I get loaner cars from my Saab dealer when they’re performing service on my 9-5. The new Saabs don’t feel as solid as my seven year old car. I’ve also noticed specific quality deficiencies like buttons not being aligned properly, or the steering wheel adjustment lever being made of incredibly cheap plastic. One time, on a loaner, the turn signal was particularly loud, clanky and obnoxious. I inquired with the service manager, and he confirmed that the turn signal was indeed a GM part.

Sadly, when the time comes to replace the Saab, I’m doubtful another Saab will be purchased. The two strong contenders to take its place are BMW and Audi. I’m positive neither BMW nor Audi would permit a GM clanky turn signal to invade their cars interiors because of a misdirected attempt to control costs. (You win the battle of the component cost, but you lose the war- selling the customer.)

Imagine a doltish corporate suit saying, "We’re going to make a Mercedes on the cheap!” Well if you make a cheap Mercedes, it’s not a Mercedes anymore, is it? You put a Chevy turn signal in my Saab, it’s not a Saab anymore. Capiche?

Recently Kirk Kerkorian, who owns approx 10% of GM, has recommended GM sell Saab as part of a plan to return the thickheaded company to profitability.

My hope for Saab is that GM will sell it, and that new owners will bring back the magic and quality. I particularly miss the distinct long bonnet nose of the old 900s. You can still see a hint of that in my 9-5. It’s gone in the short stubby nose of the new 9-3s. I also think all Saabs should have airplane cockpit like ergonomics and the ignition key in the center, not on the console. At one time the advertisement for Saab said, “The most intelligent car ever built.” Sadly, I don’t think that can be said today thanks to GM’s destruction of the company.

JP

Learn more about James Bond's "Silver Beast:"
http://commanderbond.net/Public/Stories/2284-1.shtml

(Photo and beta-reading credit: The Little Woman.)

No comments: