Friday, June 08, 2007

Greek Poetry






I found an old book on Greek Poetry that had fallen behind the book shelves. I hadn’t read it in years, and I enjoyed re-discovering it.

Below are three of my favorites by Martial (c.43-c.104 A.D.). He had a unique sense of humor.

A Hinted Wish
(Translated from Latin by Samuel Johnson)

You told me, Maro, whilst you live
You’d not a single penny give,
But that, whene’er you chanct to die,
You’d leave a handsome legacy:
You must be mad beyond redress
If my next wish you cannot guess.



To Polla
(Translated from Latin by Sir Charles Sedley)

Leave off thy paint, perfumes, and youthful dress,
And nature’s failing honestly confess;
Double we see those faults which art would mend,
Plain downright ugliness would less offend.


A Promising Youth
(Translated from Latin by J.A. Pott)

At sixty years of age is he
A man of promise still:
Methinks he needs eternity
That promise to fulfill.

No comments: