Sunday, July 26, 2009

Best Advice



Every year, Fortune Magazine has an issue where business leaders discuss the best advice they’ve received. That got me thinking about my life, and what I could claim was the one single best piece of advice I’ve ever received.

Here’s my answer- I joined the military right out of high school for the college money. I really had no other incentive; but to my surprise, I took to the military like a fish to water and did very well, very quickly. What I had anticipated as a drudgery had instead become a pleasurable experience.

While still a private, a crusty old Sergeant Major stopped me and stared at me intently. He then asked me, “Pacheco, you love the Army don’t you?” Up to that point I hadn’t really consciously articulated the thought, but after a moment’s consideration I replied, “Yes Sergeant Major, I guess I do.”

He then leaned into me and said, “Well don’t fall in love with the Army Pacheco, because the Army won’t fall in love with you.”

It took a while for the full meaning of that advice to sink it, but has been one of the most useful tools of perspective anyone has ever given me. No matter how much overlap there is, there will always be conflict between the objectives of your employer and your own enlightened-self-interest. You should never make the assumption that your interests and those of your organization are one and the same. You should never have the expectation that an organization will reward you for loyalty or self-sacrifice. Simply put, there are too many variables, both external and political for the equation to be that simple. At the end of the day, you have to keep your eyes wide open and do what’s right for yourself and your family. That’s your burden, and that burden cannot be delegated or entrusted to another earthly power.

Do what’s right by your colleagues and customers to earn your wages, but don’t overlook to do right by yourself in the day-to-day process.

-JP

1 comment:

Ms. B @ Millie Deel said...

That's a really great piece of advice! Very similar to advice my dad always gave me while I was growing up.

xo

Jennifer
http://milliedeel.blogspot.com/