Sunday, November 15, 2009

Reader's Question on Barbour Jacket Smell





I received this question on my Barbour Beaufort Jacket Post-

“Hello John,



I am having a bit of trouble with the smell of my Barbour Beaufort. It was a hand-me-down from my father. The problem is it smells musty. I can't seem to think this is the wax smell you've talked about. Do you have any ideas on how to diminish or even eliminate the stench? I personally do not mind but I do find my friends distancing themselves from me whenever I choose to wear it. Could Barbour help with the odor? Also could you further the information on the Barbour facility to me because I'd like to extend the arm length and might as well get it rewaxed?



Thanks, 
Ian”



Ian, the Barbour Beaufort waxed jacket does carry its own distinctive smell, which some people find unpleasant and describe as musty, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard it described as a “stench.”

Of my two jackets, my older the one, the Sylkoil Classic Beaufort Jacket probably has the greater propensity to generate a musty smell, but I find the odor dissipates once I clean it with some ice water and a sponge and re-wax it. (That's the jacket I'm wearing in the upper left photo.)

So here are some possible solutions to the musty smell you’re describing (remember it’s a long distance diagnoses) -

1. Use a sponge and some ice water to wipe down the jacket a couple of times and allow drying in the sun while unzipped and draped over a patio chair. The ice water hardens the wax and allows the sponge to pick up the dirt. By squeezing out the dirty water from the sponge, you should be able to judge how much dirt you’ve picked up and how much is remaining on the jacket. Leaving the jacket to dry in the sun will allow it to be aired out, especially if draped unzipped with the inside also catching some air.

I wouldn’t recommend applying new dressing until you’re sure you’ve done a good job of removing some of the old dirt layers which could have worked themselves into the old wax. I strongly suspect that’s what’s causing your smell. (By using multiple sponges during the cleaning you could also peel away some of the old contaminated wax which would also help.)

My guess it that you would have better luck with this approach in summer when the warmer temperatures would allow the existing wax to become more pliable; and you may find you have to go through this cleaning and airing out process several times. (In the Army we used to do this cleaning and airing out with our tents, and it was always a pain.)

2. Worst comes to worst, you could simply wash the jacket in a washing machine with clothing detergent, but that would more than likely strip off all the wax. Once you do that, you can’t re-wax it again. Any wax applied would more than likely just bleed off. I have run into people who have made that choice.

3. For help from Barbour service, repair and reproofing, if you’re in the U.S., I would recommend you do it through the Orvis Flagship Store in Manchester, Vermont. In my experience, they have the strongest working relationship with the Barbour Repair Shop, which is located in the neighboring State of New Hampshire.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of them addressing the smell issue, but I do know that they can help with alterations, which includes adding sleeve length. Their contact information is-

Orvis Store
4180 Main Street, Historic Route 7A
Manchester, VT 05254
Phone: (802) 362-375

(A word of warning, they’re not quick, even if you send it during spring/summer expect a lengthy wait.)

If you’re not in the U.S., I would visit the Barbour website and see what information you can garner on stockists in your country or perhaps consider sending the jacket directly to Barbour in Great Britain. Their address is-

J. Barbour & Sons Ltd
Customer Services
Simonside
South Shields
Tyne & Wear
NE34 9PD

On their website they ask that you include your phone number, and explain that turn around could be 10 weeks. They also have a form that lists their prices in British Currency.

4. The one thing I wouldn’t do is to hose it down with an outside hose as I’ve seen some bloggers suggest. If the dirt causing the musty smell is embedded into the old wax dressing, the water pressure wouldn’t be enough to dislodge it; plus impurities in the outside water connection could do additional damage to the jacket.

I hope you are able to salvage the jacket. Items passed down from one’s father are always precious.

Regards,

John P.

PS- Barbour Marketing should really, really, send me a check.



For step by step re-waxing instructions, click here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it's really a stench--as opposed to the classic Barbour smell--you can try (1) dusting the interior with baking soda and letting it sit overnight; and/or (2) hanging the jacket outside on a sunny day to air out.

Failing that, send it to Barbour--odds are, whatever your issue is, they've seen it before.

Anonymous said...

I dont know why you could not rewax after washing? I rewaxed with filson wax (I like the smell of their wax better). It has a matte finish and performs well.

Unknown said...

I recently bought some second hand Barbour waxed trousers for fishing. They smelled extremely bad, but found that by soaking them in cold water which had a good amount of baking soda mixed in, most of the smell went. Just air dried after that and problem sorted. Still waterproof next time I used them.

Unknown said...

I recently bought some second hand Barbour waxed trousers. They smelled very bad when they arrived but I got really good results by soaking them in cold water with a good amount of baking soda mixed in. Then just air dried. They stayed water proof and the smell reduced by maybe 80%