Thursday, October 12, 2023

True Story - A Golf Tale

True story- When I was in my early 20’s I was playing a crowded muni in El Paso on a holiday. I was sitting on my bag waiting for the foursome of old men in front of me to pitch onto the green when two little old ladies came up to the tee box, totting their bags on pull carts. One of them looks at the group in front pitching, then at me, and said impatiently, “Can you hit that far?” I thought about it for a second, then decided they were probably safe from my 3-wood, so I said, “No.” “Well go ahead and hit!” she told me. So, I tee up and hit. As luck would have it, I caught ALL of the club and my ball sails straight into the group as they’re walking up to the tee. One of the foursome members had to hold another member from walking back to me. I don’t think I’ve ever been so embarrassed on a golf course in my life. And that’s the story on how I almost got my butt kicked by a foursome of old men when I was still a young buck in my 20s.

Lesson learned? Never let an impatient little old lady talk you into hitting before you're ready.

Photo- @7:30am Wed, June 24, 2023- My buddy Chuck and me waiting for our turn at the 1st tee at Wimberley, during my friend Chuck’s visit. The Wimberley golf course has been renamed “Double J Ranch,” and on the day we played, the new owners had heavy equipment tearing up the old golf cart paths so that they could be re-done. It made for interesting OB rules and ground under repair relief.

No comments: